Penn State football fans and the coaches of the nation’s most popular college football program are rejoicing after the NCAA announced sanctions against the program for violating NCAA rules during the 2016-17 season.
The NCAA announced on Monday that it has fined Penn State $50,000 for its violation of its rules on recruiting practices during the season of 2016-2017, and the Nittany Lions are also subject to additional sanctions for the 2018-19 season.
There was no immediate word on what the future holds for Penn State in terms of football recruiting.
“I think that the university is going to do the right thing, and we’re going to keep working and working hard,” Penn State head coach James Franklin said on Monday.
“The university is the leader on this, and I think that’s what this is all about.”
Francesco Molinari, a former Penn State offensive coordinator and the current head coach at Virginia Tech, was among the players who reacted to the NCAA’s decision.
“It’s good to see the NCAA taking this very seriously, and it’s good for our football program to be able to compete on the field,” Molinar said.
“It’s great to see our football team getting punished.”
The sanctions are the latest in a string of moves by the NCAA to address the school’s recruiting practices, which included a report by former NCAA investigator Michael McQueary last month that found that the Nitty-Gritty Football Program had been using ineligible players for more than half of its football recruiting during the 2015-16 season.
According to the report, a number of players were not selected by the school for the 2017 season because of eligibility concerns.
Penn State has since confirmed that the school did not use any ineligible players in the 2017-18 season.